We offer several open positions in Data Science in the application areas of Life and Medical Science, Earth Science, Energy Systems, and Material Science for our next cohort starting in Spring 2022. Please apply now.More Info
The graduate school will provide funding for 24 doctoral reseacher positions.
The graduate school program is addressed to excellent students with mathematics, computer science, natural sciences and engineering master degrees from all over the world who are willing to work at the interface between domain-related research and data science. Applicants must have appropriate knowledge concerning computer science in general, since HDS-LEE does not provide education in computer science fundamentals such as programming.
Candidates will be offered a clearly structured three-year program comprising:
- Lecture “data science methods and applications”
- Compulsory elective training courses, e.g. training days at the Jülich Supercomputing Center (JSC)
- Annual retreat
- Participation in (international) conferences
- Transferable skills and career advancement
Since the official program language is English, language courses may also be taken. German skills are not mandatory. However, non-German speakers are generally advised to choose German courses from the transferable skills curriculum during their first year of study, as German language knowledge is very important for daily life and for pursuing a future career in Germany.
Doctoral researchers in HDS-LEE are appointed with a three-year fully-paid (100% in German payscale E13), with a probation period of six months. Optionally, and in agreement with the supervisor, the appointment can be interrupted for up to six months for an industrial internship.
- A completed master’s degree in mathematics, computer science, natural sciences or engineering
- TOEFL or equivalent evidence of English-speaking skills (English as main school subject in the Abitur is considered equivalent)
- A high level of scholarship as indicated, for example, by bachelor and master study transcripts and reference letters
The application documents must include
- Application letter explaining your motivation for the position and your research interests
- Curriculum vitae
- Bachelor and master study transcript(s) and certificate(s) from universities previously attended
- TOEFL score or equivalent evidence of English-speaking skills (English as main school subject in the Abitur is considered equivalent)
- At least two letters of recommendation / reference letters
Please submit the application documents for your desired position as a PDF according to the procedure mentioned at the end of each job advertisement; either by e-mail to the supervisor or upload them in the recruiting system. Deadlines are indicated in the job advertisements.
Equal career prospects for women and men. Severely disabled applicants with equal qualification will be given preferential consideration.
Click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
We highly appreciate to associate members of RWTH Aachen University, the University of Cologne, the German Aerospace Center (DLR), the Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung, and Forschungszentrum Jülich. The doctoral researchersfunded by third parties or other programs can be associated, if they are in the first few months of their doctoral studies and their projects fit into HDS-LEE overall topics. They can participate fully in the HDS-LEE program. For details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.